~a little insight to the world of my mind!~

25/07/2011

A Strange Country?

One of these days, I found myself somehow reading a blog written for the help of people that want to learn Japanese and in it, I found a video that was really interesting, about Japan.

It is called "Japan: The Strange Country". It was designed as the thesis project of designer Tanaka Kenichi:

“This is my final thesis project. I created info-graphic, motion piece.
My objective is to make Japanese people to think about that everything happening here in Japan, isn’t that normal. So I created this video from foreigner’s point of view, rather than Japanese people’s point of view. I created Japanese version, English version, and Japanese voice w/English subtitle version.”

In response to some comments criticizing his work he replied:

"By the way, please don’t call me racist, because I am one of short, small eyes Japanese."

This brings another point into the game. Thinking a bit more into what this video represents made me think about one curious thing that is inherent to all of us. How we see ourselves is not always how others see us. And what we consider usual and normal is not what others consider usual and normal. It is rather funny how we expect others to see things how we see them, and when we realize it’s not like that, we can get confused.

Let me invite you to enter a different way to think. Let me invite you to the Zero Expectation Zone (ZEZ). Try to see how you are, but from a different perspective, how do others perceive you? Are your actions alright with respect to your own values? Try not to expect people to see you how you see yourself. Try to determine when you are expecting something, and try to realize that expectations only bring frustration.

Without further delay, I will present you the video in English. Perhaps you will find it as interesting as I found it to be.

 

I found the video originally here.

The webpage of the artist that created this videos is this.

1 comment:

  1. Always your faithful friend :) Hope you keep writing here.

    ReplyDelete